I hope everyone had a great Mothers Day! This was the first year I got to celebrate this special day and we spent the day cuddling with our baby boy, and celebrating my own mother. I am so lucky to have the Mama that I do! I also got to meet lots of you at the Arcadia Garden Tour on Saturday. Over 500 people purchased tickets and it was so fun to see the awe at the beautiful Sweet Life Garden, where the market was held.
Today, I wanted to share a recent project that I completed - painting the living room rug! I have been wanting to paint the rug for awhile now. There were some stains that needed covered and I really loved the look of this Gradated Stripe Rug from West Elm.
However, it wasn't quite in the budget, even though I wish our 7x9 rug was an 8x10. But hey, beggers can't be choosers, and I did get the item on sale at Pier One for $40.00!
So off I went to Home Depot, dragging a 7x9 rug around so the paint department could color match the border. The great thing about Home Depot is that no matter how weird you look, people just accept you. It's my kind of place! I love it when I don't have to comb my hair! I ended up with a Glidden flat interior red.
Hello there baby chair!
A large faded spot that needed to be covered.
The Process and Supplies
I used a tape measure and some gorilla tape to section off the stripes. I measured the full width of the rug, marked the middle and started working my way out from there. I referred to the West Elm rug, but I really just tried to keep the sections random. I just kept working my way out from the middle section and used a pencil to mark the breaks. This is a jute rug, so I was able to use the grooves and followed the lines with the tape for a straight line. I would also recommend testing your paint color before you fully commit.
I marked each color section with a swatch of paint so I could keep track of which areas to paint and which sections to ignore.
To avoid getting paint on the fabric border, I used a large putty knife and held it against the edge of the fabric with a disposable brush... um, excuse my pasty calf.
When using the roller, it was necessary to paint in the opposite direction of the grooves. This allowed paint to reach between the cracks. The jute really soaked up the paint! I also allowed the paint to completely dry before I peeled off the tape. I'm really happy with the end result!