I pretty much just removed that third portion, which is typically a starch, and switched to only meat and vegetables for dinner. It was very easy and we really didn't miss the potatoes or pasta. We ate this way for over a year and I lost ten pounds just by removing the starches and sugars.
Then last May I got pregnant... Nothing sounded appetizing but watermelon and salads. Meat was the furthest thing from my mind and food in general smelled atrocious, so for the first four months we pretty much ate some form of take out every night. Steve stopped working out to stay home with his very sick wife, I stopped cooking and away went Paleo. But now we're back on track!
Elana's Pantry is one of my favorite paleo friendly blogs for desserts. When I'm craving something sweet this is one of my go-to sites. I found this wonderful recipe for Chocolate Almond Joy Bars and it tasted wonderful. We worked on this baby all week!
Here is the recipe:
Chocolate Almond Joy Bars
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and palm sugar
- In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda
- Mix dry ingredients into wet with a handheld mixer
- Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Pour batter into dish, then sprinkle shredded coconut and remaining chocolate chips on top
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes
- Cool for 1 hour
Recipe courtesy of Elana's Pantry